Saturday, October 19
Today I swapped some fungi for a few lettuce seeds. Martin is thinking of risking a drive to the nearest nursery to buy vegetable seeds. We have been talking about how we must plan to grow more of our own in case this situation goes on much longer, so we have decided to clear some of the flower beds. Part of the garden is fenced to protect it from the deer, so we’ll concentrate on this section and prepare it for when we have the seeds or seedlings. I’m also thinking we may have to save some potatoes and use them in the garden. We still have a sack of potatoes in a cool dark corner in the pantry, but I fully expect some of them to be sprouting eventually.
So today I asked Simon to remove the kindling from the greenhouse so I could sow winter lettuce in there and more vegetables, if we can get hold of seeds. This may be the only green stuff we get when the weather gets colder. For the moment we have dandelion leaves, sorrel and bitter cress, but this will die out in the winter.
We all worked together to clear the beds. I felt a bit sad pulling out the first phlox and delphiniums, but then I thought about cabbages and onions and set to it. Martin and Stephen worked really hard and the beds were mostly cleared by the end of the day.
4 eggs today.